Episode 83: Augsburg Confession (article 27)

Monastic vows.  Poverty, chastity, obedience.  Not to mention a funny haircut.  We’re talking about medieval monasticism and the Reformation’s critique of it.  Also a discussion over a listener call regarding what to do when you don’t feel the joy of your salvation.  And of course, a little bacon, in celebration of Bacon Mondays in Lent.

Tags:

11 Responses to “Episode 83: Augsburg Confession (article 27)”

1. Tim says:

I haven’t even listened to this episode, and I’m already psyched about it. Man, you guys are good :)

2. Nathan says:

Romans chapter-by-chapter would be great! But first, I think you should do the covert action at the International Center…that would be a great show!

3. SRB says:

I attend a Benedictine college with a monastery attached. Recently, it was the feast day of the college’s patron saint, and the nuns gave us a spaghetti dinner (but not bacon). They mostly either teach or are involved with the old people’s home which is also on campus.

Anyway, especially since the youngest nun is about 47, they are always trying to recruit from the female students to try and get some younger blood. My freshman advisor actually suggested that I look into it. When I told him I was a Lutheran, he said “Well, a lot of the sisters are refugees from Protestantism,”. I started talking about Sola Fide, at which point the conversation shut down.

I’m not sure what the point of sharing that was. Free association? Oh, well. Out of the options presented, I vote for CFWW’s Law and Gospel theses.

4. tony says:

Most Reverend (?) Manly Doctors,

I would love to hear you discuss Walther’s Law & Gospel, followed by a series on Romans. And then Galatians (with highlights from Luther’s commentaries). I hope you guys keep this gig going for a long, long time!

May your bacon always be perfectly crisp,
    Tony

5. Daniel says:

I also vote for Walther’s theses on Law and Gospel.

6. From glass half full to to empty glass? Complete the process like I did. Smash that glass with a hammer. Young man, That is true reality!

7. Tim says:

Ok, I listened to the episode. Good job. I enjoyed the episode.

In regards to EO monastics- they seperate themselves from the world, in order to pray for it, as well as to discipline themselves. For a little bit more info, check this article out-

8. Laura says:

How about a special edition on Wilhelm Loehe? That would be awesome!

9. Well so much for the endless thread. It ended.

10. Jon says:

I heard about the blue ribbon baconfest on Fox News last night. I thought you would appreciate a link

Keep the great shows coming

Jon